top of page

International Student Visas

Are you an international student looking to study in Australia? 

If you are an international student who wants to study in Australia, you will need to apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500).


This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to five years and study at an eligible education provider. You can also work part-time, travel in and out of Australia, and bring your family members with you. 

In this blog, we explain what the subclass 500 visa is about, what the requirements and benefits of this visa are, and how to apply for it. 

What is the Australian 500 visa? 

The subclass 500 visa is a student visa that lets you study a full-time course in Australia. You can choose from a variety of courses, such as: 

  • English language courses (aka ELT or ELICOS): You can improve your English skills and prepare for academic studies or professional exams. 

  • School courses (primary or secondary): You can complete your primary or secondary education in Australia or join an exchange program. 

  • Vocational Education and training (VET) courses: You can gain practical skills and qualifications in various fields, such as business, hospitality, health, etc. 

  • Higher Education courses (bachelors, masters, or doctoral degrees): You can pursue a degree in your chosen discipline at a university or college. 

  • Non-award courses (short-term or exchange programs): You can study a part of a course or a specialized program that does not lead to a formal qualification. 

  • Postgraduate research courses: You can conduct original research and contribute to the academic knowledge in your field. 


You can also study more than one course on this visa, as long as they are in a package that leads to a higher qualification. 

What are the requirements of the Australian 500 visa? 

To be eligible for the subclass 500 visa, you must meet certain requirements, such as: 

  • You must be at least six years old 

  • You must have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from an eligible education provider 

  • You must have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and health insurance 

  • You must have a valid passport  

  • You must have health insurance that covers the whole period you are in Australia  

  • You must meet the English language proficiency and academic requirements of your course, if required 

  • You must pass some character and health checks 

  • You must comply with the conditions of your visa 

What are the benefits of the subclass 500 visa? 

  • You can gain invaluable work experience and earn some extra money by working part-time in Australia. You can find jobs in various sectors, such as retail, hospitality, tourism, administrative, etc. However, you must not rely on your work income to support yourself or your family. 

  • You can explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes of Australia by travelling around the country. You can visit iconic places like The Great Ocean Road, Sydney Opera House, Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, etc. or discover hidden gems like Kangaroo Island, Fraser Island, etc. However, you must not travel outside Australia without a valid visa and travel documents.


  • You can enjoy the company of your loved ones by bringing them with you to Australia. However, you must prove that you have enough funds to support them and that they meet the health and character requirements. 

  • You can pursue your career goals by applying for another visa or permanent residency after completing your studies. Depending on your qualifications and skills, you may be eligible for various visas, such as graduate visa, skilled migration visas, employer-sponsored visas, partner visas, etc. However, you must meet the criteria and conditions of each visa category. 

How to apply for the subclass 500 visa? 

To apply for the subclass 500 visa, we would strongly recommend you engage a Registered Migration Agent who supports you through the following process: 

  • Choose your course and education provider in Australia 

  • Apply for admission and receive your CoE 

  • Pay the application fee (AUD 650 as of May 2023) 

  • Review supporting documents, such as your passport, CoE, financial evidence, English test results, academic transcripts, etc. 

  • Assistance with Health Insurance, document translation and other affairs 

  • Submit your visa application through the Department of Home Affairs website with all the required documents and in some instances, a supporting submission letter 

  • Wait for the decision on your application (usually within four weeks) 

  • Receive your visa grant letter and start planning your trip to Australia 


Some tips for applying for this visa

  • Choose a course and education provider that suits your interests and goals. What would you like to do after your studies?  

  • Apply for admission as early as possible to secure your place and receive your CoE.  

  • Provide genuine and complete documents.  

  • Read your visa grant letter carefully and understand the conditions of your visa when granted. You must comply with these conditions while you are in Australia. 


The Student visa subclass 500 is a great option if you want to pursue an education in Australia. It allows you to study a full-time course of your choice, work part-time, travel freely, and bring your family members with you.


To apply for this visa, you need to meet certain requirements and provide supporting documents. 

If you need any assistance with your application, you can contact us at We are experienced migration agents as well as recruiters and we can assist you with your visa, courses, and job search training.

bottom of page